Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Hopitality - the American way


"Sorry Sir, we provide water to only Hilton Honors members", answered the desk worker in response to my question why there is no water in my room.

Now there was everything that I could imagine in my room at Hilton Garden Inn hotel in Calabasas, California where I stayed last weekend in course of a job interview. Apart from basics of bed, TV, table, closet and furnished toilets; it had fridge, microwave, coffee maker, free internet, iron and access to pool, spa, gym and two newspapers every morning. These amenities may be minimum any hotel would provide in U.S. but were more than sufficient for me. Nevertheless I didn't expect that a no-cost commodity like water would only be for exclusive members from such a well reputed hotel! I am still at loss to comprehend his statement!

What do I make out of it? American way of hospotality? Or that water is the costliest among all amenities?

Breaking the Bias – Lessons from Bayesian Statistical Perspective

Equitable and fair institutions are the foundation of modern democracies. Bias, as referring to “inclination or prejudice against one perso...