If you are new here and like what you read, consider subscribing.

Saturday, September 5, 2009

In want of a proof

Categories: ,
These days I am desperately in need of a proof: of my residential address. I need it to take a mobile connection on my name. I need it to apply for credit card. I need it to transfer my bank account from my previous branch. I need it to have my internet banking reactivated where they can send me password. I need it to open a trading account. I can see why they need it. Unfortunately, they don’t see why I don’t and can’t have one.

Things that count as proof in India are your passport, driving license, bank statements, electricity bills, telephone bills, credit card bills, PAN card and lease agreement. Sadly, as you would have noticed, in absence of proof of address I cannot have statement and bills which would have constituted proof of address. Passport is issued for ten years and hence has my address from nine years ago. PAN card doesn’t list address and driving license is a twenty year valid document listing my address from six years ago. I live with my friend from college and hence don’t have a lease agreement and electricity bills comes in his name. I was able to manage a mobile connection because service provided accepted my permanent address proof, rather than current residential address proof, and issued me a SIM. But since I have a pre-paid connection and don’t get a bill, that option is eliminated as well. Only thing that I can have is a letter from my company saying where I live which apparently doesn’t count. So, as you can see, I am not only desperately in need of a proof but also I don’t have any solution to my problem in sight in short or in long term (except, perhaps just to have a post-paid connection so that I get phone bill and start the chain from there).

On an even worse note, I don’t really even have a proof of permanent address simply because my dad is in transferable job and lives as tenants in an apartment. As explained earlier, his passport and driving license carry old addresses and electricity bill comes in name of lesser. We don’t have a landline at home since both of my parents have mobiles and lease agreement is still something they have to work out, primarily because word of mouth is strong enough mostly. I don’t know how do other people do it but if you have an answer, please do help me. I will sincerely appreciate it and I mean it.


Vaibhav Goyal said...

the problem is well known...I have the rental agreement but they say it needs approval of gazetted officer..who needs money for anything..to make it simple either apply for voter ID card and wait for 2-3 months OR pay something to an agent and get any agreement in your name...

Anonymous said...

Following comments are from Facebook page of this post:

Its a vicious circle. Also, I could not use a lease agreement as a proof of address. I've been struggling with this for the past 6 months. Am still thinking what to do :(

My brother has told me of the same problem. The situation is ripe for a litigation by some public interest group/lawyer. Or maybe the new ID system will bring about the change related to address?

I guess with new mobile generation, this is very serious problem. Gone are the days where on would grow up and work in the same city for most part...

Post a Comment

Please observe basic civility in commenting. Spam and uncivil comments will be deleted.

There was an error in this gadget