Friday, November 8, 2013

Vedika - Day 602

I've become lax in updating this journal. I could blame that I didn't receive response that I (foolishly) had hoped for. Let alone contributing, no one is even reading this thought. But I am trying to keep it up, until I cannot. For you. My dear daughter you: Vedika.

You have gone to your Mama's place in Hyderabad after Diwali. You met your Nana-Nani and Nitya didi. I hear your mom tell you that you are enjoying playing with her. I am glad you found a playmate. I hear your mom also tell that you are as fuzzy about going to your near and dear ones as you ever were. We hope that one day you will not be so. Family is important. People who love you are most important. And they won't love you always unconditionally. You are kid now, so they do, enjoy while it lasts. Expectations can be tough.

Your one act brings hilarity to mind often. On day of Diwali, after Puja, everyone was touching feet of everyone else. At some point, you decided that's the thing to do. So you bent and touched feet of your mother. I didn't notice, for when you came for me, I started walking away. When I did, I saw you crawling floor on your hands and knees following me to touch my feet. It was funny and sad. Sorry beta. I love you too.

I heard your voice on first time, since you started speaking, on phone now. You are loud. And clear. And only because of your vocabulary and because I know, I can say it's you. Else you cannot be known to be infant. And you shout a lot, even when you are not crying.

It was your second Diwali. I don't think anything remarkable happened. We thought you'd love firecrackers. You didn't show signs of either love or hate. But you didn't like to watch too, for when you have been watching and hearing lights and sounds for half-an-hour, you asked, calmly and not demanding, to go home. You tilted your head on side and said 'ok' and 'done'. Absolutely cute.

You mimic things. A lot. Everything. Laughing, yawning, popping food, bubble wrap, head massage, everything. We have to be careful. You want things done just the right way. Head massage has to happen when sitting on ground when mom is on bed, not on lap, not you on bed. You have to have your ducks near you when you poop. Simple demands of simple life.

I am missing you. I love you.

Breaking the Bias – Lessons from Bayesian Statistical Perspective

Equitable and fair institutions are the foundation of modern democracies. Bias, as referring to “inclination or prejudice against one perso...