Thursday, July 8, 2004

Forward this email, or else....


Academic education doesn't necessarily educate people. It is not a new found lesson since I remember participating in a debate in eighth class in favour of this topic. However even now any live example justifying above statement doesn't fails to amaze me. People who are well aware of energy conservation are no different then a complete ignorant in use of electricity and water. But I haven't started this blog for this. What I just and simply can not understand is the mentality of those internet users who forward messages unscrupulously failing which they will either supposedly "die" or "suffer severe misfortune" or "lose millions of dollars from Microsoft/Yahoo".



Whenever I receive such message I have a very strong urge to slap the fellow who sent me. Only that I have to restrict myself else I will end up slapping all my friends! Please let me know if you are so naive, and literally dumb, to believe that somebody is just distributing millions of dollar for the sake of it? Even the richest guy Bill Gates wouldn't survive for long if he started doing this. And why would Yahoo managing director use a cheapest technique of forwarding the message to know that the account is active? When they own and operate our accounts, a simple script will tell them how many people are logged on any time and if any particular account is dead for a while. My best efforts in understanding undermining causes of these forwards resulted in complete nil even after taking into account utter foolishness and idiosyncrasies of human nature. Is this behaviour any different than utter superstitions?



I would be the first person whose accounts would be frozen and who would have died long ago since I have been deleting them as soon as I get them. If any of my reader has any sane reasoning for doing so, please invest some time in enlightening me!


Breaking the Bias – Lessons from Bayesian Statistical Perspective

Equitable and fair institutions are the foundation of modern democracies. Bias, as referring to “inclination or prejudice against one perso...