Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Moving ...and Independence Day


Dekh liya hamne jug saara,

Apna ghar he sabse pyara.



Literally translating, I have seen all the world, but still my home is the loveliest! Did you ever feel like that? Staying in luxurious hotels and travelling in best transport also can not provide the feeling of calmness and relaxation that you feel as soon as you step into your home, irrespective of how dirty/small etc. it may be. That is when the pain of moving and shifting house becomes more acute. But was Tang Hall at MIT was my home? Perhaps not, for I will not be able to consider graduate dorm as my house however long I stay there. But still memories will stay, particularly due to unmatachable company of my roommates, who unfortunately have to split in new dorm. Lets see what goes on in my new, and even humbler, adobe at Ashdown!



India observed its 58th Independence Day last Sunday. I have peculiarly uncommon penchant for such events compared to people of my generation. Perhaps my sentimentality has to do something here. That is why I was so happy yesterday when Sangam at MIT celebrated it, first time ever, in such a grand and indulging way. My short visit to Indian Association of Greater Boston's (IAGB) India-Day also elevated my spirits due to its familiar atmosphere of thousands of Indians dressed in their traditional best enjoying multicoloured cultural show.


Breaking the Bias – Lessons from Bayesian Statistical Perspective

Equitable and fair institutions are the foundation of modern democracies. Bias, as referring to “inclination or prejudice against one perso...